Who doesn’t love french fries? I know I do, but when sweet potato fries are available I always opted for this Vitamin A rich alternative. I have to say that I prefer regular french fries fried in oil rather than baked, but I love sweet potato fries baked not fried. I know confusing right?
I enjoy the taste of sweet potatoes when they are baked, because I find the flavor is enhanced. Oil from frying masks the natural flavor of the sweet potatoes. Baked sweet potato fries are so easy to make. Two potatoes give you about 2-4 servings.
You can cut the fries to any size you wish. I try to cut them as thin as I can without chopping off my fingers. Too thin though and you may end up burning some of the fries if they cook too long.
I coat the fries in a bit of olive oil to help crisp them up. I also lightly season them with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (for a little kick). Sweet potatoes are so flavorful and really require no seasoning, but I find the spicy/salty seasoning is a nice contrast.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and sliced into long strips
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix sweet potato strips with olive oil, salt, and peppers.
- Spread seasoned sweet potatoes out onto a baking sheet.
- Place sweet potato fries into oven for about 15 minutes or until browned.
- Turn potatoes once half way through cooking time.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
I use ketchup with regular french fries. With sweet potato fries I love ranch dressing. I don’t know why I just do! Try it, you will love the combo.