Today is my son’s 11th birthday. Through the years he has been a picky eater. When he was 18 months old he went on a cruise with us. On a cruise there is tons of food and pretty much anything you could possible want. He lived on Cheerios, which we brought on to the ship with us, and watermelon! The older he gets the better of an eater he has become. He is my vegetable eater, whereas my daughter is the fruit eater. Tyler loves chicken and rice. He commented when I made the Chicken and Mushroom Rice recipe from eMeals that he liked the recipe and I should make it again. So, I thought is was share worthy if Tyler approved!
Chicken with Mushroom Rice is a great one pan meal. Although you do need to brown the chicken first, so you do actually dirty two pans. All the ingredients get combined though in one baking pan by the end. The recipe was really easy to make and tasted great.
All of eMeals main dish recipes come with a side dish recipe as well. I usually do not make the side, but this time I did. Lemon peas you can see in the first photo. Tyler likes peas, but was not a fan of the lemon flavor.
You can still receive 20% off with the code SCHOOL
- 1½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 (14-oz) cans 99% fat-free beef broth
- 2 (8-oz) packages sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 bone-in skinless chicken breasts (about 2¼ lbs)
- ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine rice, broth, mushrooms, shallot, thyme, 2 tablespoons oil and butter in a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken 3 minutes per side.
- Arrange chicken breasts over rice mixture in baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes longer or until chicken is done and rice is tender.
- Divide chicken and rice mixture into 6 servings.
Happy Birthday Tyler!