I have tried to make Butternut Squash Soup several times, but never really enjoyed the recipes I used. Last week I experimented with combining parts of different recipes and came up with this, which turned out great.
Meatless Monday Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 medium Butternut Squash sliced
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 3 medium parsnips sliced
- 1 Leek sliced
- 1.5 Tb Wegmans Basting Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and diced
- 2 tsp Ginger
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Granny Smith Apples peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- Place sliced squash, carrots, parsnips, and leek in a baking dish. Drizzle with 1Tb olive oil, stir to coat the vegetables. Roast at 350 degrees for 1 hour. After vegetables have roasted cook the garlic and ginger in a soup pot with 2 tsp of olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Place roasted vegetables in the pot with the garlic and ginger then cover with vegetable broth. Add two apples diced. Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for 30-45 minutes. Puree soup in a food processor until smooth.
- Return soup back to your pot and heat on low. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Stir in low fat milk. Heat 5 minutes longer before serving.
Courses Butternut Squash Soup
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3.9 g
Saturated Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 663.4 mg
Total Carbohydrates 18.6 g
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.