Do you like spicy meals? This chicken verde chili is easy to make and has just the amount of heat you are craving!
For the past three years my in-laws have rented a condo down in the Florida Keys during the month of February. It’s a great way for them to get out of the cold weather in Pennsylvania. We have taken advantage of my kids usually having a five the weekend around Presidents’ Day to visit with them.
For the first two years we visited at the same time as the Islamorada chili cook off. This year we missed it. My son who loves spicy food requested last year to go check out the chili cook off. At the cook off you could purchase tickets to sample chili’s from different contestants. It was at last year’s chili cook off that we tasted chicken verde chili for the first time. I have always made chili with a tomato base, so this different way was new to me! Some of the competitors made the traditional chili that I was familiar with, while others made a “green” version known as verde chili. My son was absolutely in love and he asked me several times if I could try to make verde chili at home.
Verde chili recipes use either chicken or pork. I don’t use pork often, so I made this chili with boneless skinless chicken breasts. I used an already prepared verde sauce, however in case you are curious most recipes use a combination of Serrano, Jalapeno, and Anaheim peppers. Tomatillos make up the base of the sauce. White beans are used, which keeps the color of the chili consistent.
I used a slow cooker for this recipe, however you can easily prepare the same recipe on the stovetop if you want to.
Chicken Verde Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups salsa verde
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onion slices
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- Place onion and jalapeno pepper in the bottom of a slow cooker ( I used a 6 quart)
- Place chicken breast on top of vegetables.
- Add seasonings: cumin, cilantro, salt and pepper on top of chicken breasts.
- Pour in chicken broth and salsa verde.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- After three hours add white beans to the chili and cook for another (1) hour.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Courses Slow Cooker