My husband loves French Onion Soup. When you think of French Onion Soup you can picture all the gooey cheese and of course the calories to go with it. Years ago I received a set of recipe cards by Healthy Meals in Minutes. It was one of those gifts that keeps on giving. I think I received a packet of recipes every month for about a years. We love the French Onion Soup recipe from Healthy Meals in Minutes. Over the years I have tweaked it a bit.
You start with a lot of onion. After you peel your onions place them under running water to rinse. This will help you cry less when you start to slice them!
The onions need to caramelize, which always longer than I expect. I am always in a hurry. You need to patient with the onions and let them go on their own.
Once the onions are caramelized you can add the other ingredients. The soup is portioned into oven safe bowls. Topped with good French or Italian bread and cheese.
French Onion Soup
Low calorie version of French Onion Soup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large vidallia onions
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 thin slices French bread
- 4 tablespoons grated Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, thyme, and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Cover; cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover; reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook until onions are golden, stirring, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute for 1 minute.
- Add flour; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, remaining water, and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil; skim off foam.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place 4 heat proof bowls on a baking sheet; ladle soup into bowls.
- Top each with a slice of French bread; spinkle with Swiss cheese and Parmesan.
- Broil until cheese is bubbly, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
Calories: 144Carbohydrates: 20 gProtein: 6 gSodium: 139 mgFat: 5 gCholesterol: 9 g
Serving Size 4
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Unsaturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 9 mg
Sodium 802 mg
Total Carbohydrates 46 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 13 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.