- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 cup Carnation Dry Milk
- 1 cup Skim Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/8 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Vanilla Fat Free Yogurt
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Combine all wet ingredients in a seperate bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the well. Mix just until all ingredients are combined. The batter should have lumps.
- Spoon pancake batter into a heated greased skillet ( I use a pat of Promise Light Spread). Sprinkle in 5-6 mini chocolate chips per pancake. Flip pancakes to cook the other side when bubbles begin to appear.
I have made pancakes from scratch since my son could eat them and he is now 10. I grew up on the box mixes, but would not feed that to my children. Pancakes are really easy to make from scratch. I generally use the same basic recipe, but over the years have tweaked it to lower the calories but increase the nutritious quality. To lower the fat I have used both apple sauce and yogurt or both. I like using vanilla yogurt. Yogurt results in a better flavor. I also incorporated dry milk in this recipe to increase the protein content a bit.
I usually heat my pan over medium high heat and then reduce to medium once I have the pancakes in the pan. I sprinkle in 5-6 mini chips per pancake. A good rule of thumb is to flip them when small bubbles form on top of the pancakes. Enjoy with your favorite Maple Syrup (not that fake stuff!)