“I received free samples of Cabot Cheese mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe challenge sponsored by Cabot Creamery and am eligible to win prizes. I was not additionally compensated for my time.”
Cabot Creamery and The Recipe Redux have teamed up to create healthier snacks, including appetizers and finger foods. As a Recipe Redux participant, I was sent samples of Cabot’s cheddar cheeses. I was sent so many samples I could not make just one recipe, so stay tuned for recipes 2 and 3.
For recipe one I wanted to use phyllo cups. I love phyllo cups. These little pastry cups are perfect for bite-sized appetizers.
Bacon and cheddar just go perfectly together, so I decided to jazz up the combo with lettuce and tomato and turned these cheese cups into BLT cups. I tasted tested each cheese. I felt that the Farmhouse Reserve would be the best fit with bacon. I use Applewood Smoke Bacon that is uncured.
My son came into the house after I made a batch. He tried one, of course without asking, so had no idea what he was eating. He came into my office and said, “Mom, I tried one of your tacos”. Um, they were not tacos! The lettuce and tomato made him think the Cheddar BLT Bites were taco cups. When I explained what they were he said, “Oh, they were good anyway”. He didn’t eat the tomato, though. I found the few tomato pieces left on the plate.
This recipe is really quick to make. Most of the prep can be done easily or ahead of time. Bake time is pretty quick too. Low fat cream cheese is used to make the filling creamy and to keep the bacon and cheese together.
- 1 package prepared phyllo cups (about 15), defrosted according to package directions.
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature.
- 1 cup shredded Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar Cheese
- 3 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled (I used Applewood Smoked, uncured bacon)
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- 6 grape tomatoes seeded and diced.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix together cream cheese, Cabot Farmhouse Cheddar, and bacon.
- Place prepared phyllo cups on a baking sheet.
- Place a tablespoon of the cheese mixture into each cup.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned on top.
- Remove from oven.
- Top with shredded lettuce and tomato.
- Serve warm.