Today is October 21st and that means it’s time for the monthly Recipe Redux Challenge. Each month a group of nutrition and health bloggers create healthier recipes based on a particular theme. This months theme is A Nutty Nut Day
We had to take advantage of the fact that National Nut Day (October 22nd) falls on one of our ReDux monthly theme post days – so we can all go nuts! Share a healthy nut-filled recipe: Think whole nuts, chopped nuts, ground nuts, nut butter and/or nut flour. And Happy Nut Day!
I love nuts. Nuts are a great source of protein and healthy fats. I enjoy different varieties for different meals and recipes. Almonds and cashews are a favorite snack. Walnuts and pecan are my go to nuts for salads and baking. This theme came at a perfect time. Do you believe that Thanksgiving is a month away!
My favorite pie, actually the only pie I really enjoy, is pecan pie. Pecan pie is basically pecans and sugar. The pie is super sweet. I make one pie every year, but usually just want one piece. I feel guilty of course for wasting the pie. My hubby loves pecan pie as well, but we can’t finish a whole pie.
Pecan bites are a perfect alternative. Small bite sized pecan pies give you the taste of pecan pie, but without all the calories. A slice of pecan pie is about 400 calories. Pecan Bites are 120 calories a piece. I think it’s I nice alternative when you don’t really want a whole piece of pie.
Using frozen phyllo shells is a quick and easy way to make these pecan bites. The shells are ready to bake. Just fill them and pop them into the oven.
The pecan bites take only a few minutes to prepare and less than 15 minutes to bake. Once cooled you can enjoy the bites right away. I enjoy these bites so much I don’t think I will want to make a whole pie again!
Chocolate Pecan Bites
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2.5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cups pecan pieces
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 box mini phyllo shells
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine melted butter, sugars, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Slowly stir in egg.
- Add in pecan pieces, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate chips. Stir to coat.
- Place frozen phyllo cups onto a baking tray.
- Add a teaspoon of batter into each phyllo cup.
- Place baking tray with chocolate pecan bites into the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove chocolate pecan bites from the oven and let cool completely before serving.