It’s time again for the monthly Recipe Redux recipe share. This month’s theme is “Back to the Dinner Table“.
“After the hustle and bustle of the holiday/vacation season, August is the time many families get ‘back to routine.’ Show us your favorite recipe to help families get ‘back to the dinner table.’ It might be a favorite family recipe from your childhood that you’ve ReDuxed; or maybe it’s your family’s current favorite. Let’s all gather back at the table!”
My favorite go to meal that everyone loves in our house is Shrimp Scampi. I think I like this dish more than anyone. On the rare occasion that we go out to dinner, shrimp scampi is my choice (if it’s on the menu)!
What makes scampi so yummy? It’s the butter of course and lots of it! Over the years the good dietitian that I am has used less and less butter. Years ago I may have used an entire stick of butter, now only about 2 tablespoons. Still tastes wonderful, but better for you.
I have made this recipe so many times that of course I never follow a recipe. Trying to actually think about the recipe to write it down for this blog post was tough. I am the kind of cook that puts a little bit of this and a little bit of that in. My husband has learned that I experiment and is not surprised at all when a recipe tastes different than the previous attempt.
This scampi recipe is made the same way each time (now anyway!), so it’s a safe recipe to him. He doesn’t need to worry at this point in time that I am going to experiment with the Shrimp Scampi recipe. I experimented enough in the past 15 years! This recipe has morphed from a Rachel Ray Recipe from one of her cookbooks and the “recipe” one of our favorite beach restaurants uses. We of course, don’t have the exact recipe that the Hula Grill in Ocean City uses, however in their early days when the grill wasn’t quite too busy we could watch the chefs cook all the dishes.
Of course, there is always a little bit of Jen in every dish. I just can’t seem to follow a recipe exactly. I have always been a bit different!
Shrimp Scampi - Recipe Redux
- 2 dozen raw shrimp, peeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup white wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups Thin spaghetti, cooked
- In a saute pan heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink.
- Remove shrimp from saute pan.
- Add garlic and butter to saute pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in white wine and lemon juice.
- Simmer and reduce sauce by half.
- Add shrimp back into saute pan.
- Toss to coat shrimp with sauce.
- Place 1 cup of cooked spaghetti on three plates or into bowls.
- Top each cup of spaghetti with shrimp scamp mixture, dividing it evenly.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.