Slow cooking is something I grossly underuse. I have no idea why, but utilizing a slow cooker makes dinner on busy nights so much easier. You can put ingredients into a slow cooker in the morning and by dinner time you are ready to eat! I have had my slow cooker since we were married 16 years ago. I probably only use it once or twice a year. This Fall and Winter we are going to get more use out of this appliance! Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is the perfect meal for a cold Fall evening. All you need to do is prep the veggies, which you can do the night before and then add them and the chicken to the slow cooker the next morning and you are ready to go.
I have had my slow cooker since we were married in 1999. I probably only use it once or twice a year. This Fall and Winter we are going to get more use out of this appliance! Chicken Noodle Soup is the perfect meal for a cold Fall evening. All you need to do is prep the veggies, which you can do the night before and then add them and the chicken to the slow cooker the next morning and you are ready to go.
My college roommate used to cook chicken noodle soup from scratch. She had this enormous pot that she would use to cook it in. Needless to say, we had chicken noodle soup for a while. One of the things she did, which I still do almost 20 years later is to leave the noodles separate. Often the noodles get mushy if they are in soup too long. This recipe makes a pretty good number of servings. We love leftovers so we did finish the soup in a few days. If I wanted to freeze the soup the noodles just would not hold up the same.
I cook the noodles separately and then add them to the serving bowls before I add the rest of the soup. This is also a nice way to make everyone happy. Those that want a lot of noodles and load up, while other (like me) who prefer more veggies than noodles can go easy on the pasta.
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 lb. chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 whole clove of garlic
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounce dried pasta of your choice (small is best like elbows or rings)
- In a slow cooker place the chicken.
- Place on top of the chicken the carrots, celery, onion, and spices.
- Cover with chicken broth making sure that all ingredients are covered.
- Use additional water if needed to cover ingredients.
- Set slow cooker to high.
- Cook for 5-6 hours.
- When cooking is finished shred chicken with a knife and fork. (you may need to remove chicken to do this on a cutting board and then return to the slow cooker)
- Cook and drain pasta according to package directions.
- To serve place desired amount of pasta (I suggest about 1/2 cup) into soup bowls.
- Top with soup mixture.