When I decided to make June strawberry month my husband told me that I needed to include Strawberry Shortcake. To be honest though I don’t like the traditional shortcake. Shortcake to me is more like a biscuit. I would rather have cake.
I modified a vanilla cake recipe to decrease the sugar content and increase the fiber content. The cake uses whole wheat flour and a combination of sugar and Stevia in the Raw. When baking with Stevia in the Raw you can not substitute all the sugar, because you will end up with a very flat cake.
Once the cake is made the Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits are really quick to assemble. I keep all the ingredients separate so we can assemble our desserts right before we eat them.
I am so glad my husband has these stemless wine glasses in his wine glass collection. I don’t love wine, so I put desserts in them! Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits fit perfectly in these wine glasses. The portion is perfect at only 225 calories per parfait.
Strawberry Shortcake Parfait
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated Stevia (I use Stevia in the Raw)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Stevia in the Raw or sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Stevia in the Raw
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare a 8 inch square baking pan with butter and flour.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, stevia, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add to the flour mixture egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Using an electric mixer beat for 2 minutes.
- Scrape sides of bowl and mix until well blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of your cake comes out clean.
- While cake is baking add 1 tablespoon of either sugar or Stevia in the Raw to sliced strawberries and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Whipped cream: blend heavy whipping cream with 2 teaspoons sugar and 1 teaspoon Stevia in the Raw on high until stiff peaks form. Serve immediately.
- For Parfaits:
- Cut cooled cake into 1 inch squares.
- Place one square cut into 4 smaller pieces into the bottom of your serving cup.
- Top cake with 1-2 tablespoons whipped cream and 1-2 tablespoons strawberries.
- Repeat for second layer.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12.1 g
Saturated Fat 7.3 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 225 mg
Total Carbohydrates 25.8 g
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
Sugars 12.2 g
Protein 3.9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.