I can not leave my house without eating breakfast. I do not have a lot of time in the morning, so I need something quick. Our mornings are crazy. Scott leaves by 6:45 AM so I am left to get myself and the kids up, dressed, fed, and out the door on time. Bree moves like a turtle. Tyler and I forget everything and are both easily distracted (thank you ADHD). So imagine our house between 7-8am! Yesterday I completely forgot to put Bree’s lunch into her backpack. Thank goodness I put money her in lunch account last week, so she was able to purchase lunch. Was I in trouble though when I got home from the hospital!
This is why muffins are a perfect breakfast food for me combined with a tall glass of skim milk! My usual breakfast muffins are bran muffins, but sometimes I get bored with this variety and need a change. I freeze each batch of muffins that I bake to preserve freshness. I pop a muffin into the microwave for about 1 minute and it’s ready to go. I can easily put the defrosted muffin into my lunch bag and put the milk into a travel cup and away I go.
Since this month’s food of the month is apples and I have an over abundance of apples in my house I decided to try apple muffins. When I think of apples in baking I also think of crumbs. A streusel topping has to go with apples!
The kitchen smelled so good while these muffins baked. The kids noticed the smell and they don’t usually take notice to what I am cooking. Nutmeg and cinnamon are great spices to use with apples. The smell of the spices baking filled the kitchen with smells of Fall.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Granny Smith Apples peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Butter softened
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flours, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine sugars, milk, vanilla, and egg.
- Slowly combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until just wet.
- Add melted butter, applesauce, spices, and walnuts, stirring just until combined.
- Spoon muffin mix into lined muffin cups.
- Prepare topping: combine all ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Spoon topping onto the tops of the muffins, pressing the topping down slightly.
- Place muffin pan into preheat oven and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.