Start your morning off this holiday season with this festive cranberry orange muffin made with fresh cranberries.
As I have shared before muffins are my go to breakfast, especially when I have to drive to the hospital for work. I have always shied away from cranberry muffins. I think cranberries are rather tart and bitter. I found through researching possible uses of cranberries that many recipes for baked goods use oranges to counteract the tartness of the cranberries.
One of my favorite kitchen tools is my zester. The smell of citrus zest is so awakening. My kitchen was filled with such a wonderful fresh small when I zested the orange for this recipe. I have used lemon zest a lot in other recipes, but never orange zest. I didn’t know what I was missing.
You can use either fresh cranberries or frozen. I had both on hand but decided on frozen because I felt that they may keep some of their shape through the baking process, compared to the fresh. I also didn’t have to worry about crushing the berries while mixing the batter.
The cranberry and orange flavors together are fresh and really help to wake you up in the morning. It’s just a refreshing combination. I think they help put a zing in my step as I run out the door in the morning!
Get the Recipe!
Cranberry Orange Muffin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients: flours, salt, baking powder, in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine sugars, butter, vanilla, milk, orange zest and orange juice.
- Stir together wet ingredients until combined.
- Slowly add the egg to the wet ingredients.
- Add walnuts and cranberries to dry ingredients, stir to coat.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry just stirring until combined.
- Spoon mixture into a prepared muffin pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until a testing stick come out clean from the center of a muffin.