The July Recipe Redux challenge is a “spirited’ one!
A Spirited ReDux
From plain Jane vanilla extract to fancy-pants elderflower liqueur, we like to keep a little liquor in the kitchen. Show us how you like to cook, bake or mix-it-up with spirits, extracts and other alcohols. A splash of vodka makes summer sauces shine – and liqueurs brighten desserts: What’s your healthy recipe with spirit?
I love mudslides. During the summer months we spend a lot of time in Ocean City, NJ at my parent’s condo. Years ago TGI Fridays marketed a mudslide mix. We would whip up frozen mudslides at the pool deck pretty frequently with this mix. One night we went to a friend’s ice cream shop after closing and mixed in soft serve ice cream, yum! For this months challenge I wanted to create a dessert using the common ingredients found in a mudslide: Kahlua, Vodka, and Bailey’s Irish Cream. Mudslides are packed with calories we don’t need, so I didn’t want to create a dessert that would be high in calories either, especially since I am supposed to create “healthy” recipes. Using non fat milk, no eggs, and smaller serving containers you can enjoy a yummy dessert without a lot of excess calories.
Placing the pudding into shot glasses allows you to control the portion size and control the calories. One shot class is just enough to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Mudslide Pudding Shooters
You can get about 8 servings from the pudding recipe. The whipping cream recipe will yield about 16 servings since you are using less of this in the shot glasses.
- 2 cups non fat milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons Kahlua
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Vodka
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon confections sugar
- 4 teaspoons Bailey's Irish Cream
- For Pudding:
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Slowly whisk in milk letting cornstarch dissolve preventing clumps.
- Slowly heat milk until a slow boil begins, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chocolate chips, stirring until chocolate melts.
- Remove from heat and stir in Kahlua and Vodka.
- Cover pudding and place in refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours or until set.
- For Whipped Cream:
- Place a metal bowl and metal beaters into the freezer for about 15 minutes to chill. (this will help speed up whipping process)
- Place sugar in bowl.
- Whisk in whipping cream
- Beat cream on a medium high speed with an electric mixer until still peaks form.
- When ready to serve place pudding into a shot glass filling half way.
- Add about an inch of whipped cream.
- Fill the rest of the shot glass with pudding.
- Top with additional whipped cream.