Over twenty-five years ago a shop opened up on the Ocean City, New Jersey boardwalk called The Bashful Banana. The shop was opened by a fellow Penn State Nutrition alumni and her husband. The Bashful banana sold smoothies and Banana Whip. Long before Yonana’s started selling their machines the Bashful Banana was selling banana whip that they used (and still use) a juicer to create the ice cream-like healthy treat.
[Tweet “Turn frozen fruit into a healthy dessert in just minutes. #nourishedsimply”]
I have thought about buying a Yonanas machine (affiliate link) to make my own banana whip at home, but do I really need another appliance taking up room in my kitchen? I already have a Vitamix (affiliate link), blender, food processor, and smoothie machine likely all capable of turning frozen fruit into a creamy “ice cream”.
Why make banana pineapple ice cream?
- Banana Whip is simply frozen ripe bananas mashed and creamed to resemble ice cream.
- You don’t need any additional ingredients.
- This treat is great for anyone trying to eat less sugar.
- You can add different frozen fruits to change the taste. Great toppings include coconut, nuts, granola, fresh fruit, and my favorite chocolate chips.
Tips for making banana pineapple ice cream:
- You may need to blend in stages, stopping to scrape the sides of the container.
- Depending on the strength of your machine you may want to let the fruit defrost for a few minutes just to soften it.
- My favorite combination is pineapple and banana. You can prepare this Banana pineapple ice cream in just minutes!
All-natural "ice cream" made from just fruit.
- 2 frozen ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- In a blender or food processor (I used my Vitamix) blend frozen fruit until smooth and creamy.
- Enjoy right away!
More cool treats!!
Banana recipes you may enjoy!!
Items you may need to make Banana Pineapple Ice Cream