Who doesn’t love chocolate, especially for breakfast? Whole wheat chocolate muffins are a great source of fiber to start your day with!
If you are a regular reader here at Nourished Simply you know about my love of muffins. Muffins are often a quick breakfast, especially when I work at the hospital. They are portable and do fill me up. As a chocolate lover, chocolate muffins are of course a favorite. I tried though to make this recipe a bit healthier by using whole wheat flour and oat bran.
I traditionally bake with either butter or canola oil. I know many people are using coconut oils now because of the advertised health benefits. I have no opinion honestly either way. I have not read enough good data to move completely over to coconut oil. I don’t mind experimenting with it, but I am not convinced that it is the end all be all. I did use coconut oil in this recipe because I have been out of all of my other oils. I find coconut oil a bit tricky to bake with. Because coconut oil is considered a saturated fat, it is solid at room temperature. To make the muffin mix easier to mix I would rather have the coconut oil in a liquid form. So, you need to melt the oil just like you would melt butter. I add the oil last in the recipe to allow the oil to cool a bit. If the oil is still hot you may start to cook the egg. I also try to use room temperature ingredients. If the coconut oil comes in contact with cold ingredients the oil will start to solidify.
The dry ingredients are mixed first. Then the chips are added. If the chips are coated with flour they are less likely to fall to the bottom of the muffin cups. I add the wet ingredients and then like I said earlier, save the coconut oil for last. I would do the same with melted butter.
I try to fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full. I love when the muffin tops spill over the edges of the muffin liner. I don’t like short tiny muffins. You can see the oat bran and whole wheat flour grains in the mixture, but trust me the muffins do not taste grainy.
This batch of muffins was made on a quiet weekend morning. My son smelled the muffins and came running into the kitchen to see what was baking. When the muffins were done I had to hold him back so they could cool a bit.
Get the Recipe!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, sugar, and chocolate chips.
- Stir to combine dry ingredients.
- Add in skim milk, egg, and vanilla, stir just until wet.
- Slowly pour in coconut oil, stir just until combined.
- Pour muffin batter into a muffin pan lined with cupcake wrappers.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full.
- Bake in the oven 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean from the center of the muffins.
Attapted from Bakers Royale.